Thursday, November 11, 2010

       Met with the surgeon yeaterday. Seems very nice and I liked him. He only deals with large spleens, so seeing the size of mine didn't seem to frazzle him. He did mention that I am carring around a health 8 Kilo spleen. Roughly about 18 pounds. WOW!!!.... A normal spleen is about 1-2 pounds depending on height and weight etc.
Basically he said that I should get it taken out. I'm still healthy enough to do the surgery now. He doesn't advise me to start chemo and then have to stop to have the surgery. The chemo would then be non effective. He did say again that once the spleen is removed, my lymphoma may go into remission itself. With no need for chemo for a couple of years. That's the good news. On the other hand, this will be major surgery with it being so big. And like any major surgery, there are risks. The risks are low as they only coincide with having a major operation. I will be in the hospital for 3-5 days and at home for about 6-8 weeks. They are trying to get me in ( and think they will) before the end of December. So happy holidays..............
I have to meet with my other Dr. next week to make the final plan. I think he will go along with the surgeon's recommendations. I assume my chemo that was scheduled for next week and Dec. will be canceled.

till next time,

vic

1 comment:

  1. Onward and upward!!You've been a good boy this year. I'm sure you can expect something special under the tree!!!

    ReplyDelete